The Shieldlands are the main setting of the series. They were originally ruled by the mudborns centuries prior until they were fought back by humans from the Farlands. The Shieldlands now exist as several realms ruled over by the Thanes and safeguarded by their Reeves, with a single chief Thane known as the Jarl, elected to govern the other Thanes and keep peace in the Shieldlands through the Alliance.
- Herot is currently ruled by Thane Rheda, who is also the Jarl of the Shieldlands following her husband, Hrothgar.
- Bregan was ruled by Thane Abrecan, brother of Rheda who died by her hand after his attempt to usurp her as Jarl.
- The Banning are forest people ruled by Thane Lagrathorn.
- The Varni are the warrior tribe ruled by Thane Rate. They were temporarily banished from the Alliance by Rheda when they were framed as traitors by Slean to defend Abrecan. They rejoined the Alliance when Rheda made a deal to marry Rate and rule over the Shieldlands with him as joint Jarls in order to gain his support in fighting off the Bregan/Wulfing invasion of Herot.
- The Wisdeth are a farming community who were ruled by the late Thane Scorann.
- The Mere are ruled by Thane Gorrik.